Wednesday, June 17, 2009

you can do it all by yo-self!!

Anyone who knows me well knows that I raise my daughter by what the internet says. Lance calls it my "baby encyclopedia". I get posts once a week telling me what my baby should be doing and at what point she should be doing it. Most of the time, like walking for instance, she is way ahead of their predicted stages. One e-mail, about 2 months ago, told me I should start to give my child her spoon and allow her to feed herself. It will promote better hand-eye quardination, or so they say. Those who know me know there is no way on this green earth that I would allow her to have that much freedom, and the only reason is...THE MESS. I cringed at the thought of letting her at it and the disgusting, sticky, gross mess I would have to clean up afterwards.
Yesterday, at 14 1/2 months, I finally gave Peyton her spoon and about a tablespoon of her food in a bowl. This is the outcome. I was so disgusted that I had to walk out of the room while she explored. She had such a great time making this mess! I took some pictures for documentation. I think I have created a monster though...tonight when I tried to feed her, she wanted no part of the normal, clean eating, and opted to make a mess again BY HERSELF. And so it begins!
This ones for you Uncle Craig!





I wonder where she got that tongue!

4 comments:

Morgan said...

wow, if you think that's a mess... sayer is the same way, he refuses to let me feed him his veggies or yogurt or applesauce or anything that requires a spoon. he actually gets more than i would ever think possible in his mouth, but the rest is all over his hands and bib and tray. oh well. how else are they going to learn? you'll get used to it... sort of! ;)

Nick and Cristina Anderson said...

Oh you should see my kitchen floor by the time Spencer is done with a meal! How are you doing? Your baby girl is getting so big!

Camber Casper said...

No worries Ashley, I still feed Andie occasionally and she is almost 3! She isn't a messy eater but just the thinking that there might be a mess makes me do it for her.

Rennie said...

I agree with you about the mess. I used to let my babies do that but they at half naked. You gotta either put one of those full sized body bibs on or take the clothes off altogether.

Oh...and once you let a little girl "explore" her independence (like feeding herself) you're really in for it because she's gonna want to be independent about A LOT more things!