Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Freedom?


So, today I heard from some people that I know that a close family friend may be fired from his job for donating $1,000 of his own money to Proposition 8. The last time I checked, it was a free country, and you can't be FIRED FROM YOUR JOB for speaking your mind and voting the way you believe is right. It makes me sad and confused. Isn't this what our country was founded on? The First Amendment of our Constitution clearly states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...". I just don't get it. Why is this person not able to voice his opinion about his stance on a certain Proposition, yet thousands of people, who obviously voted No on this proposition, have begun to defile GOD's Temple because they believe we are in the wrong. We let them stand outside of our churchs and our Temples protesting. Why? Because it is the law to allow them to do so. Now why is it ok then for them to do these things, but not ok for us to peacably give money to a cause we so greatly believe in? Like I said, I am confused.


If nothing else, there should be a protest of people's rights being taken away, when, besides us overwhelmingly voting yes 8 years ago, we were stripped of our "Freedom of Speech" when 4 Supreme Court Judges in the State decided to go against the will of the people. Well the will of the people have spoken again, and 52% of the people in Califonia want marriage defined this way. The last time I checked, Mormons weren't 52% of the population here...yet we are getting the brunt of it all. Like I said, Something is wrong.


I fear for my children having to grow up in this world. I know that things are just going to get worse from here on out. They say we have been saved for these latter days...to build the Kingdom in righteous ways...well, it is going to be a hard battle, but I am up for it! I am sad for the Eckern Family, who have to face their father losing his job after working with the Sacramento Music Circus for 25 years becuase he stood up for what he believed. I am sad for all those other families who are facing the same thing, that I know nothing about. I am sad for the people who are so vehemently fighting the outcome of this for their salvation in the life hereafter. I hope and pray that things get better, but somehow I know they will not. I have to live my life the way that I know is correct and do what I can to raise my children that way as well. I love the Gospel and know that these are the Latter days and while things aren't going to be pretty, we will get through it if we heed the commandments and follow our Savior's words.

No comments: